India is Blessed with rich and diverse natural resources. Since the ancient period, India has shown tremendous development in Ayurveda, which is now showing the benefits of Tulsi and helping the world in curing almost every disease with the help of medicines made of natural ayurvedic components. One of the most incredible and magical herbs is Basil, popularly known as Tulsi in India. It is a divine blessing to India, because of its great significance and the amazing healing power it is also known as Holy basil.
Holy Basil, Tulsi, Tulasi, or Vrinda has a great significance in Hinduism. Almost all Hindu households have a Tulsi plant. It is considered to be the earthly form (avatar) of goddess Lakshmi. According to Hinduism tradition worshipping the Tulsi plant means offering prayer to goddess Lakshmi and Lord Krishna as Tulsi is believed to be a great devotee of Lord Krishna. Every “Puja” (worship) is incomplete without Tulsi leaves. Hindus believe that planting Tulsi plant at home keep the environment pure by keeping the evil at a bay and brings prosperity and happiness. As per Hindu norms adding a tulsi leave in ‘Prasad’ (Food offered to God) is mandatory, to assure its purity. It is also considered a source of property, wealth, purity, happiness and success.
Tulsi is considered a queen of all herbs because of its innumerable benefits. India has a rich heritage of Tulsi. The land of India is blessed with its different types.
Types of Tulsi :
1. Rama Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum): Rama Tulsi is also known as Sri or Lakshmi Tulsi. It has green leaves. It is popularly known for the refreshing, chilling and mellow flavor of its leaves. This Tulsi has a sweet taste and a refreshing scent.
2. Krishna Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum): According to Vedas Krishna Tulsi got its name Krishna because of its leaf’s flower which resembles Lord Krishna’s skin color. It is one of the most useful types of Tulsi. it can be used in trending skin disease, earache, nervous system, respiratory disease, sore throat, cold, flu and so on.
3. Vana Tulsi (Ocimum gratissimum): Vana tulsi is a type of Tulsi that is highly rich in antioxidants and is filled with lots of magical uses. It is highly useful in building the immune system, coughs, flu, fever, lungs infection, chest conjunction, nervous blockage, sinus, headache.
4. Kapoor Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum): Kapoor tulsi is popularly known because of its strong fragrance. It has a strong significance in treating fungal infections, insect bites, typhoid, malaria, stress and so on. It also has a powerful scent that is used to keep insects and mosquitos away.
1. Relaxes nervous System.
2. Treats skin disorders.
3. Promotes healthy cells.
4. Purifies blood.
5. Calms stress.
6. Improves concentration and thereby sharpens the mind.
7. Strengthens the immune system.
8. Treat cold, flu and fever.
9. Treats depression.
10. Helps with arthritis.
11. Controls blood pressure.
12. Manages blood sugar level.
13. Treats lungs infections.
14. Is helpful in treat insect bites.
1. Tulsi Powder: Consume one teaspoon of dried tulsi powder with water on honey or ghee or milk daily.
2. Tulsi Tea: Make a Tulsi tea with Tulsi, clove. cinnamon, tea leaf, bay leaf and a little bit of honey. this tea is highly refreshing and calming.
3. Tulsi balls: Mix Tulsi paste with Kasturi Haldi ( wild turmeric) powder. Make small balls, take two balls with water on an empty stomach (the size of the balls must be a regular tablet). You can these balls for seven days.
4. Tulsi and honey: Mix one teaspoon of Tulsi juice with one teaspoon of honey and black pepper and consume it twice daily. This helps to treat cough, cold, lung infection, etc.
5. Tulsi facemask: Make a smooth paste of tulsi leaves and water, then mix one spoon of honey and a pinch of cinnamon, mix everything together and apply it to your face. It is highly effective in treating acne and other skin problems. you can directly use tulsi juice on the affected area.
6. Tulsi as a water purifier: You can add a handful of Tulsi leaves to drinking water to purify and disinfect drinking water. It has the power to purify and filter drinking water. Consuming Tulsi water is also very beneficial for the human body and mind. It relieves stress, improves immunity and overall health.
I have written blogs on some other topics, I hope you will like it: